Healthy meals don’t have to take loads of time. Proof in point: this delicious shrimp fried rice. To make it even healthier, we used brown rice instead of white rice. It still has that nice texture and flavor but more nutritional value, particularly B vitamins.
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup instant brown rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 4 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of roasted sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons of canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 grams of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 4 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 piece of medium red pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 4 chopped scallions
Mix the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring to help break them up into smaller pieces, about 45 seconds. Transfer eggs to a bowl.
Add a teaspoon of canola oil to the pan and return to medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to the bowl.
Heat the 2 teaspoons of remaining oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
6Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Stir in the peas, peppers, carrots and green onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and crisp (3 to 4 minutes).
7Add reserved rice, egg and shrimp and cook, stirring, until hot (about 1 minute).
8 Remove from heat and gently stir in the sauce.