Lentils are protein-rich and make great soups and stews. Try one of our best ever lentil soup recipe
- 1 cup red or yellow lentils
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- three quarters of a liter of water
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 2 tablespoons of cream of milk
- mint or fenugreek chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves
Cook the lentils with water, salt, turmeric and chili powder for 20 minutes until everything is very tender and drain excess liquid.
Fry the onion with the ghee in a pan until it is well browned but reserve a spoonful to decorate.
Add the mashed garlic and ginger, cook it and add the tomato until it cooks and is soft.
Pour the lentils already cooked with the garam masala, the cream of milk and half of the chopped herbs and stir until everything is hot.
Serve it decorated with the fried onion that we reserve and with the rest of the herbs.